CD-RW/DVD Combo wont read cd-r

iamthewalrus 13:26 29 Jan 05

I have had a PC for 5 months and it has a CD-RW/DVD combo drive. about 2 weeks ago it began to stop recognising any blank cds. It claims there is no disk in the drive through "My Computer" and when I try to write a disk it just asks me to insert media, both in nero and windows xp writing software. However it will recognise cds with dat on them or dvds. No new hardware has been installed. In device manager it claims it is working fine, no conflicts. Any ideas?

THE TERMINATOR 13:40 29 Jan 05

Are you using thr right format for your recodable drive? You cannot use + format in a - format drive....TT

gemma_loan 14:02 29 Jan 05

im having the same problem with mine - ive tried about 7 different kinds of dicks - again the device manager says its fine and it will pick up data cds and music cds - its just wont reconise blank ones!

Hairy Yeti 14:08 29 Jan 05

I have found that packet writing software can cause problems of different sorts. If using win XP try disabling the device (right click it in Device Manager) and re-enabling it. Then try your writing s/w again.

gemma_loan 14:20 29 Jan 05

Ive just tried that and it and it doesnt work!

iamthewalrus 16:50 29 Jan 05

The Terminator, it is not a dvd rw drive it is a cd-rw/dvd combo.

It is also not the media as i have been using memorex cds all the way through and it used to write to them.

THE TERMINATOR 20:53 30 Jan 05

It might be a good idea to start your own thread, and stop using dicks in your drive....TT

THE TERMINATOR 21:00 30 Jan 05

If it once worked ok, there is two things you can do. The first is to do a system restore to when the drive was working ok. If this doesn't help and no other make of cdr work, then you should be able to get the drive looked at by the shop you bought it from under it's warranty....TT

Chezdez 21:09 30 Jan 05

yup, try a system restore, and reinstall your software

also, try to roll back the drivers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 30 Jan 05

Causes are (inno particular order)

1. loose data cable (check cable at drive and motherboard)

2. dirt in drive (use a lens cleaner)

3. failed burn laser (read laser ok, will not burn scrap it)

4. damaged data cable (try on other cable or replace cable)

5. IDE driver (uninstall and reinstall)

6. CD/DVD drivers (uninstall and reinstall)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:16 30 Jan 05

sorry missed one

7. faulty media (some burners don't like certain disks)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…