CD-RW wont eject

lenn 20:43 22 Feb 05

After having saved word documents, music CD's etc to disk drive, disk wont eject unless I reboot.

The Belarussian Mafia 20:49 22 Feb 05

When I had this problem it was caused by a conflict between the Adaptec programme that made drag and drop CDs and the other Adaptec programme that made normal data CDs. I just uninstalled the one I hardly ever used, and never had any more problems.

If I were you I'd wait to see if anyone has any less drastic solutions before giving this a try.

It would probably help others if you mentioned your drive make and the particular programme you use for copying to CD-RW.

Audeal 22:12 22 Feb 05

If rebooting causes you problems then you can insert a "straightened out" paperclip in the small hole in the front of the drive. This is an emergency eject feature which I have used on the odd occasion when something goes wrong. It is not a cure but will help you get a disc out in an emergency.

vinnyT 12:16 23 Feb 05

This is a common prob with cd-rw s/ware (ie in-cd), after saving to a cd-rw disk, to eject you have to right click the cd drive icon in explorer and select eject. This way you will not have to reboot and risk corrupting your hard drive.

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 12:17 23 Feb 05

Sorry, should have mentioned I use w98, but expect is the same solution in xp.

Technotiger 12:40 23 Feb 05

Hi, yes it is a common problem, and even using 'eject' in the right-click drop-down menu does not always work - with me, that is when the straightened paper-clip comes into play; but if doing this, wait until disc stops spinning. The little hole in the front of the drive is put there just for this purpose.

Cheers.

Stuartli 12:49 23 Feb 05

Burning programs such as Nero control the operation of the drives, which is why AutoPlay should be disabled.

If you do use the paper clip method of opening the drawer, make sure that the system is switched off first - for obvious reasons...:-)

lenn 11:43 26 Feb 05

The problem is now resolved.
Sorry I missed out the following info.
I'm using windows ME. I have reloaded Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 and Adaptec Direct CD.
OK now, thanks all.
LENN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…