CD RW Will not eject

DRiM 21:47 15 Apr 03

I have a Hewlett Packard CD writer which works well, except for one small problem.

I am compiling albums of all my digital pics off my hard drive onto CDs using Windows Explorer to cut and paste them, but when I want to remove the CD it will not eject, even if I go to 'My Computer' and select 'EJECT', it just does nothing.

I have to shut down the machine and start up again every time I want to eject a CD.

Any ideas?

DRiM

MAJ 22:02 15 Apr 03

It sounds as though your burning software is not releasing the drive after burning, DRiM. Which burning software are you using? XP's own? When the files have been burned, try Ctrl Alt Delete and end the burning application see if that releases the drive to eject.

Eastender 22:08 15 Apr 03

If you are using Roxio you will need to open the Direct CD format utility and choose eject from there.

Simsy 11:40 16 Apr 03

"even if I go to 'My Computer' and select 'EJECT', it just does nothing".....

It is normal, when using packet writing, (i.e. a drag and drop method), for the button on the drive itself to be disabled.

You say you are dragging digital pics, so I assume they are not very large? However, if they are, and you are dropping a lot onto the CDRW, it may take while for all the writing to be completed. Are you sure that it has done so? The draw will not open until the writing has finished.

Good luck.... it may be a re-install and/or repair of your packet writing software may help.

Regards,

Simsy

DRiM 12:06 16 Apr 03

Thaks for the responses, I am using the burning program that comes with the CD writer.

I do wait until all the copying is finished and the writing neon has gone out, but its still no good.

I have a copy of NERO, is that likely to work better?

Tog 12:31 16 Apr 03

Do you have an option to eject when recording complete?

With ROXIO, if you right-click the icon on the task bar, eject can be selected from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…