CD-RW Recording Speed?

Border View 11:07 29 Dec 04

I have a Samsung Combo SM304B CD-RW/DVD player. My computer was purchased in 2000. I run Windows 98SE. The computer is an Athlon 800mhz 128 SDRAM with a 30G HDD (only 10G used).

Can anyone please tell me how to find out what speed this CD-RW records at. I've seen some 700mb CD-Recordable discs with a 52x recording speed and wondered if they would be suitable for my computer.

Your advice would be appreciated.

ICF 11:15 29 Dec 04

The speed of recording is determined by 3 things.

1 The disc's
2 The drive
3 The computer spec

With buffer under run you can let the computer do the thinking and just select the highest speed it will let you burn at.There are other factors to think about though.What your actually burning audio disc's or data disc's.Sometimes disc's burnt for audio won't play in some domestic/car stereo players if burnt at high speed.

pj123 11:16 29 Dec 04

From what I can see from this site:

click here

It looks like it is: Samsung SM-304B Combo Drive 4x/4x/24x CD-RW and 4x DVD-ROM drive

Which means write at 4x rewrite at 4x and read at 24x, with a 4x play DVD.

You can still use 52x CDRs but you won't be able to burn at more than 4x.

IMHO you would be better off buying a later model.

Valvegrid 11:19 29 Dec 04

This is the spec for that drive:

click here

You can use x52 disks OK, its just that you won't be able to use them at x52. Although I can burn at x52, I very rarely do, I usually burn at x12 or even x8 for some data disks.

greenlamp 11:22 29 Dec 04

download the freeware home edition of Everest from this link
click here
this program should give you all the information you need as regaeds the spec. of your drive.
As regards rhe 52x recordable CD's the burning software will allow you to go up to the drives maximum capability, so no harm should be done by using higher spec. CD's.

Border View 11:24 29 Dec 04

Many thanks for coming back to me. I only need these discs for back up (especially Family Tree Maker) So take it that I should be OK.

Just put the disc in the drive and the computer will do the thinking for me?

Valvegrid 11:25 29 Dec 04

Yep, it certainly will, good luck.

Border View 11:27 29 Dec 04

Thanks fellas - shall green tick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…