cd rw `RECORD` tab gone

nhojnhoj 09:36 17 Nov 03

i have a problem with my cd/dvd rewriter drive

When I right click on the drive and select `properties` the `RECORD` tab isn`t there.

i`m not sure whether the driver for a writable drive and a normal read only drive are the same and also whether they are part of windows xp auto plug and play drivers.

ie. if I uninstall the driver then reboot will windows re-install its own driver for me?

its an NEC 1300 drive by the way

any help would be greatly appreciated. its took me all weekend to deduce this much! i`m very much a novice!

nhojnhoj 14:11 17 Nov 03

refresh

4th time of asking

can anyone help please..i`m stuck, don`t know what to do

Rtus 14:17 17 Nov 03

Sorry havent as yet used XP for CDRW drive or owt else for that matter ..So Bump>>

Jester2K II 14:21 17 Nov 03

Windows will install its own drivers for it.

Is it recognised in the BIOS?

Can you see it in Explorer?

have you tried it in another PC?

nhojnhoj 15:14 17 Nov 03

errm, whats bios?

i`m on xp so theres no explorer.

its showing in device manager which says its operating correctly.

question
If i simply uninstall the driver then reboot will plug & play find it and reintstall a driver or will i lose the firmware by doing this? i haven`t got the firmware on a disk.

nhojnhoj 16:50 17 Nov 03

ok, for the record, somebody might find this info useful if they stumble upon it using the search function.

my dvd drive is an nec 1300a. i rang nec today tel:- 0208 993 8111 and they pointed me in the direction of their german website click here which has much more information than the UK or USA sites.
There are firmware updates and technical help questions amongst other things.

the chap i spoke to was very helpful and told me to check in device manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. there are 3 items here. if one of them is displayed as standard then that suggests that the motherboard does not have the correct driver info and i should check their website for driver information.

it seems that either no-one wants to help (hope thats not it!) or this is a very tricky subject. i see quite a few cd/dvd writing threads with no answers. anyway i will post further details as/when i make progress and update incase somebody finds it useful

Rtus 17:31 17 Nov 03

From you last posting..
>it seems that either no-one wants to help (hope thats not it!) or this is a very tricky subject. i see quite a few cd/dvd writing threads with no answers ..
May I just offer an explanation.. most dont have a problem,or indeed may not have had to correct a problem similar to yours & may not have the same O/s, therefore wont offer to post on a subject they have little experiance of .Please be sure No one here would withhold info that could help you..Most times however some forum members will research the required data if time allowseven though they havent a problem themselves, So its nothing personal at all.We would rather offer help that may actually achieve a result. thank you for posting our findings it may well help someone else..

Rtus 17:33 17 Nov 03

Should have read >>>thank you for posting Your findings it may well help someone else..

Jester2K II 18:04 17 Nov 03

Funny i have XP and it has Explorer...

VoG II 18:12 17 Nov 03

Just what I was thinking!

TommyRed 18:30 17 Nov 03

I don't have XP yet but on the few occasions I have used it I found it in Accessories, I think. HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…