CD-RW read-only error

Sparky0138 08:57 13 Feb 03

Wanting to transfer a lot of files from one PC to another, I'm trying use a CD-RW which works on one PC (running XP) but comes up with "this CD is read-only" on the other PC (running Windows ME). Does anyone know how I can make the CD-RW work on the ME machine so that I can record onto it please. I'm using Roxio WinOnCD 3.8 on the ME PC. Using XP it just works through windows explorer.

Newuser4165 09:40 13 Feb 03

I would suggest that you standardise on one particular burning program and use that on all pcs with CD writers.It saves a lot of hassle.
I have had problems on our pcs in work where different burning programs were used on separate pcs - Nero machines were unable to write reliably to disks created in machines running Roxio and vice versa.
In the end I have stuck with Nero on all machines but you may prefer to use Roxio.

Stokey 09:56 13 Feb 03

What Newuser4165 says makes sense. I have Nero one one machine and Roxio on the other. I find disks burned with Nero are OK on both machines but NOT the other way round EXCEPT if I use Maxell CDRWs and then there is no problem either way.

CDRW burning can be a bit strange -- it seems not to be as straight forward as one would expect. I think you have to mess about a bit until you discover what works for YOU. (and might not for someone else)

Stokey 09:59 13 Feb 03

Also have a look at this. It has helped me on numerous occasions -- good kit click here

Sparky0138 10:27 13 Feb 03

After more playing around I managed to figure out it worked if I erased the CD-RW using RealOne on the XP machine and burned using Roxio on the ME machine. Strange but it worked, at least for one disk but not for another. Thanks for all the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…