cd-rw playing tricks??

niknax 23:11 03 Nov 03

hi all
burning some web photo's today onto cd-r disk,
everything went okay until the drive,started beeping, every 10 seconds, next thing, the drawer
kept opening then shuting, then only opening slightly ajar, then i smelt the burning of a circuit board! yep it had burnt out! question is WHY!

Nicola

Diodorus Siculus 21:55 04 Nov 03

Sounds like the fan went on the processor and your momo got fried... [no joking, Sherlock!)

But I suppose that it was a coincidence that it happened at the same time that you were burning a CD. Brings a new meaning to "burning" I suppose...

Giggle n' Bits 22:49 04 Nov 03

At worst your fan over the processor or possibly the AGP card may have a fan and the fan must have failed. This would cause overheating and possibly burn out the proccessor rendering dead.

There is a possibilty that the Motherboard also may be effected. If the CPU is touch would ok, you will be wise just to have the CPU reseated with a new application of Thermal conductivity paste with a new HSF - Heatsink & Fan. Arund ?5 + but labour chrages from us guys.

Dependant on the age of the rest of the machine and anyother damage occured it would be a question of "Is it Viable, to carry out the repiar" ?

I personally render machines older than 3.5 years none viable.

Other people may disagree.

On newer motherboards there is CPU overheat protection, well there is on a decent M/board usually Asus A7V8X-X, MSI KT4V ultra's I could go on and write a book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…