CD-RW or DVD-ROM as a 2nd drive to a DVD-RW

boy_from_the_blackstuff 23:30 17 Aug 05

My father is thinking of buying a new Mesh Matrix Premier PC which comes with a SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW drive (R/W all standard formats). As a second optical drive will add £20 + VAT to the purchase cost is it worth adding one? If so should he add a 52xCD-RW or a 16xDVD-ROM drive?

Stuartli 23:40 17 Aug 05

The DVD-ROM drive - the rewriter will also write to CD-R or CD-RW disks.

In addition, you can use the DVD-ROM drive as an audio CD player, install software, watch DVDs etc and ensure the rewriter is used for its primary purpose - burning. They are normally not as robust or have the longevity of a CD or DVD-ROM drive.

DieSse 23:43 17 Aug 05

However - if he plans to burn a lot of CDs, and not play many DVDs - a CD-Writer is usually a lot faster at burning CDs than the DVD-Writer will burn CDs.

Superstylin 01:06 18 Aug 05

hey up, i've asked this question before at click here some of it might help

Satmansq 08:23 18 Aug 05

I agree with DieSse, CD-RW faster for writing to CDs and Windows doesnt seem to like writing to CDs in my DVD-RW, although Nero copes well enough. If your Dad plans to copy any DVDs it can be done with 1 drive. Really I think it depends on what the drives would possibly be used for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…