CD-RW not reading disks

TOPCAT? 16:59 30 Oct 03

TC is in a spot of bother, guys!

I've just removed my working CD-ROM and installed a secondhand A-OPEN CRW4048 CD-RW. Now, I keep getting a request to insert a disk into drive D, and its front LED is flashing continuously. Have tried several good CDs containing Autoplay.inf files but still cannot not run them.

I've also checked the registry entry in H_KEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer and the NoDriveTypeAutoRun - Value data entry is correct at: 95 00 00 00 (Microsoft Knowledge Base article 312475). Though, when right clicking the drive in My Computer the AutoPlay command is still missing from the shortcut menu.

The drive shows correctly in Device Manager with the following attributes.

Settings - Auto-insert notification enabled - DMA is enabled and the best Windows driver in use is named: C:\Windows\|INF\MSCDROM.INF.

Properties shows the volumes slider on High, and under Digital CD Playback, the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" is enabled but greyed out. My Operating System is WinMe.

One other, possible critical piece of info is this CD-RW came from a Tiny PC that had its PCU burn out recently. It seems to have killed the mobo too, so I'm wondering if this drive's laser pickup has also gone 'phut' with it. I was hoping to make use of it for backing up to CD-Rs!! Any further help would be gratefully received. TC.

A_World_Maker 17:05 30 Oct 03

Just me sticking my nose in, but have you tried switching off DMA?

TOPCAT? 17:14 30 Oct 03

Have tried that, thanks, and rebooted but still no good. :( TC.

Djohn 17:26 30 Oct 03

From device Manager, run the driver update option, it will come back with the message that the best driver is already being used. I tried this with a drive last week that was giving a similar message as the one you have, and by running the driver install again, it seemed to re-associate the drive. j.

DieSse 17:38 30 Oct 03

Just for info, I had a PSU go "pop" recently, which took with it the motherboard, hard drive, CD-ROM, modem and graphics card.

So it's entirely possible - nay, probable, that your drive has gone phut too.

TOPCAT? 17:39 30 Oct 03

Have tried this, but it comes back with the same driver as mentioned above, and still no disk read either!

What about removing the drive from Device Manager and using the Add New Hardware tool to reinstall it? TC.

Djohn 17:45 30 Oct 03

It's definitely worth a try, but DieSse is most likely correct, seeing that you have tried the options you mention above. Regards. j.

TOPCAT? 18:00 30 Oct 03

I'll give it one more try with a reinstall and report back with the results. Methinks DieSse is correct and the drive is kaput! Shame really. TC.

TOPCAT? 18:15 30 Oct 03

Well, it still doesn't work, so it's back to the old CD-ROM for me. Thanks for the help/suggestions peoples.

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going!! :o)) TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now