CD-RW High Speed Disc

Wellpastit 13:32 31 Oct 04

I tried to format a CD-RW disk that failed, because it was a high speed disc in a standard CD-R/RW Drive. Unfortunately it seems to have ruined my drive or the software contolling the drive.
My DVD+R drive still reads but will not write.
Suspecting software corruption I reinstalled Windows XP. Now windows cannot locate either drive, Driver Manager states that the Drivers have been loaded, but the hardware cannot be located. Scan for Hardware cannot find the drives. Both Drives are found by the Bios, and they light to check when loading after a start / restart. I have tried a new ribbon cable to the drives, and reloaded the IDE Driver from a partition for program updates, but I cannot reload windows, or much else now without my CD units.
Any suggestions, before I have to format and start from scratch. I cannot try the units on someone else's computer, (the way to lose a friend?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…