CD RW and DVD rom only work sporadically

yvie 21:27 01 May 07

Hi all

I am having a prob with my CDRW and DVD rom...errr....not sure what they are called?.... the drawers that you put the disks in? THe dvd rom one wont play at all now....and the CD rw only works occasionally. I just keep opening and closing the drawer and sometimes eventually it works. Does this mean that the whole computer will have to be changed...or is there something inside that I can change?

I am trying to put pictures and films on cds, and checking the ones I already have done, but although I know they have files on them they just wont play or be recognised. If that makes sense at all.

I have a cybermaxx pc about 5 years old running xp.

Thanks
Yvie

phono 21:46 01 May 07

Have you tried using a lens cleaning disc on the drives?

The whole computer does not have to be changed if either, or even both, of the drives are defective, you can simply buy and install new drives, they aren't too expensive these days and installing a new drive is very simple.

Having said all that, as the PC is 5 years old now it may be an idea to replace it as they are quite cheap now, funds permitting of course.

yvie 21:56 01 May 07

Many thanks Phono, I take it I can buy one at pc world or similar? I will try that first. Im glad I may be able to replace them, right now a new pc isn't an option unfortunately, but something to keep it going for a bit longer would be great. After all the work transferring the camcorder tapes I just need it to last long enough to get them all on disc!

I don't know why this machine still scares me, every time I'm taught something new I realise its all quite simple really. (fingers crossed as I type that!!)

Thanks again for your help

Yvie

birdface 21:59 01 May 07

First try Skidzy.s solution first. click here

phono 22:12 01 May 07

A CD/DVD lens cleaning disc can be purchased at any computer store, I am sure PC World will have one.

phono 22:14 01 May 07

If you need new drives there is an explanation, complete with pictures at click here

yvie 22:31 01 May 07

Thank you both so much, that is a great help.

ANd the 'how to' link is very helpful. Taking the pc apart is quite scary but that makes it look so easy.

Ill let you know the result.
Thanks again

Yvie

phono 22:45 01 May 07

No problem, please keep us posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…