CD-RW Drives - Coming to an end?

powerless 20:50 18 Jun 03

At the moment their are 52X speed writers that are all ready to brought by us lot. (well not me i'm hapy with my 48X)

But, how fast can they go?

Seems to me they are coming to an end of their maximum speeds. Any increase in speed would come at a cost.

So we move to DVD writers. Gigs of space and prices fallings...

CD-RW drives are slowly on the way out?

leo49 20:57 18 Jun 03

Slowly[and in the PC world that's a relative term] but until the DVD format war results in a winner and/or the multiformat writers increase in speed I can't see them becoming totally redundant.

regards

Gongoozler 21:00 18 Jun 03

Some interesting experimental work here -
click here - suggests that the ultimate limit is 64x above which the disk would explode catastrophically for anyone within 15 metres!

Stuartli 21:56 18 Jun 03

Even 24x, 32x and 48x speeds are stretching the boundaries of a technology that was orginally intended merely to play audio CDs at 1x.

Remember the excitement when double speed and then 4x drives were released and even more so at 8x; the prices too were astronomical. Then people became blase about the subject and accepted higher and higher speeds with little reaction.

As Gongoozler rightly points out, experiments have shown that disks can shatter at very high speeds, although it is pretty rare.

No doubt we will soon have DVD rewriter speeds escalating quite dramatically - meanwhile manufacturers will continue to overcharge customers for technology that has its basic roots in the humble CD drive.

Gongoozler 07:14 19 Jun 03

These high speed drives are all very good for anyone who really needs to read a complete cd in less than a minute. I would much prefer a drive that took a bit longer but would run quietly and not risk shattering a disk that is slightly out of balance. Unfortunately all the makers appear to be playing the specmanship game. Does anybody sell a 24x drive anymore?

Stuartli 09:03 19 Jun 03

The simple answer to your question is to limit your burning speeds to 16x, 24x or, say 32x, at maximum if you have one of the latest CD-ROM drives - it's not a prerequisite to burn at the maximum speed...:-)

It's also more reliable, almost certainly extends the life of a rewriter and will probably result in fewer coasters.

Gongoozler 09:15 19 Jun 03

Hi Stuartli. It's not the burning speed I was thinking about, it's the reading speeds. I recently fitted an AOpen rewriter for my daughter, and was amused to see that although it is specified as having a 48x reading speed, the default speed is 40x, and there is a button on the front to select the higher speed. The vibration even at 40x is annoying enough. What real benefit is there in going from 40x to 48x. A quick calculation suggests that reading a full cd would reduce from 90 seconds to 75 seconds. I wonder what I could do in the 15 seconds that I would save.

Bodi 10:09 19 Jun 03

That I'm sticking to my Plextor 12/10/32S because it's reliable and I aint in that much of a hurry to produce my recorded CD's. Gives me time to make beds, wash dishes and hoover. er - if I'm quick. lol

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…