CD-RW Drive Probelms

beaky1993 20:58 27 Apr 07

I've been using my Samsung SW-240B CD burner for over 4 years now, and I've never had a problem with it, up until now. If I insert a disc into the drive I get the error:

"e:/ is not accessible

incorrect function"

I tried several methods of curing: Right clicking on the drive and trying to enable CD recording under the Recording tab in the drive Properties, with the tab nowhere to be seen. I then tried changing the drive type through the registry, but to no avail. After that, I uninstalled the drive from Device Manager and let Windows redetect it, but this didn't work either. Finally, I set the BIOS to recognize the drive as a CD-RW drive, but this had no effect.

Someone said to me that 4 years is a reasonable life for a heavily used drive, and that I should consider buying a new one. Is there any other method of cure that I can try out, or is my drive goosed?

Thanks in advance,
beaky1993

TOPCAT® 21:52 27 Apr 07

Do you happen to have Roxio Ez cd creator 5 installed? If so, then click here to update the drivers and it should cure the problem. TC.

beaky1993 22:32 27 Apr 07

Hi, thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention in my original post that I've got Easy CD Creator 5 installed, but I've already tried updating the driver, and it didn't help.

beaky1993

TOPCAT® 22:50 27 Apr 07

I've Googled for your problem so hopefully you may find the answer somewhere on click here TC.

Stuartli 23:27 27 Apr 07

A new, fastest to date DVD rewriter (which will also burn to CD media) such as the Sony GA170 costs under £20.

Your Samsung certainly doesn't owe you anything...:-)

beaky1993 21:46 28 Apr 07

Thanks TOPCAT and Stuartli for your replies. I had already Googled the error message, and didn't find anything that helped, as most other people cured the problem in the Recording tab (which I can't access) This isn't my computer, it's a family one, and my parents would rather have an internal drive, preferably a DVD-RW. I've searched around for pricing, and there are some DVD burners out there that are miles within budget. Will the removal of the old drive and the installation of the new one be simple, or would we need to get someone in to do it for us?

Thanks,

beaky1993

woodchip 21:53 28 Apr 07

Yes just swap it. Check the jumper on the drive is set the same jumper diagram on top of drive, i.e ether Master or Slave depends on how it's setup

beaky1993 22:05 28 Apr 07

Thanks for your reply woodchip. We're going to go ahead and get a DVD-RW drive, and I'm going to get my uncle to install it, as neither of my parents have a clue about computers.

Thanks again,
beaky1993

Stuartli 22:08 28 Apr 07

There would be no point in buying a CD-RW rewriter now as they are only two or three pounds cheaper than a DVD rewriter.

In fact you can even buy the very, very latest 20x Lightscribe model for under £25 (for instance £23 at: click here), although you may well find a Sony, Lite-On or similar at Scan, Dabs etc for less).

Lightscribe may not be of much value to you and, in fact, the blank disks are still quite expensive, so something on the lines of the Sony AW-G170AB2 for around £18 from click here will burn to both CD and DVD media, including dual layer blank media.

woodchip 22:08 28 Apr 07

Not both the cables have a Red wire in both, these should be be close together, face each other when pluged in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017