CD-RW Drive not recognised in BIOS

JustinJSY 23:17 24 Feb 05

I have just added some extra RAM and a USB2 port to my PC. All appeared to be fine until I noiced that the light on my CD-RW drive was permanently on.

When I boot up, there is an error message, saying that it could not be found and there is no sign of it in My Computer. I can't even eject a disk by pressing the button on the drive.

I have checked the wires (power, parallel and audio) and they all seem to be connected correctly.

Is there any way of testing it, or should I give up and get a new one?

Technotiger 23:22 24 Feb 05

Hi, light permanently on is somtimes an indication that the ide cable is the wrong way round on the back of the drive. I would advise a thorough check again on all connections.

Cheers.

LastChip 23:25 24 Feb 05

Did you disconnect the CD-RW data cable?

If so, make sure that the cable is correctly positioned. Normally there is a RED tracer down one side of the cable. Make sure this end is attached to Pin 1. Often the cable is "Keyed", so it can't be turned around, but it's just possible.

Dan the Confused 23:38 24 Feb 05

Have you correctly set up USB in BIOS? There may be a conflict with the CD drive. Make sure USB IRQ is set to auto (or whatever yours is for automatically assigning interrupt requests to USB devices).

JustinJSY 23:42 25 Feb 05

I've checked all the cables, and still no success. I'm afraid the USB IRQ in the BIOS menu seemed too complicated for me. I couldn't work out how to change it to auto.

Dan the Confused 23:49 25 Feb 05

Did you try cursor keys?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:52 25 Feb 05

BIOS Settings
click here

Dan the Confused 23:52 25 Feb 05

Try Page Up/Page Down and +/- keys.

LastChip 23:54 25 Feb 05

Did you disconnect the CD-RW drive when you carried out the work?

What operating system are you using?

What is the total size of your machines memory?

Is the memory size indicating correctly on the boot-up screen?

Is the data cable keyed?

JustinJSY 23:55 25 Feb 05

yes, but it didn't seem obvious which was the USB I had just installed. Even if I could work out which one(s) it was, I couldn't see how I could change it to Auto. I was able to change the BIOS to operate the CDRW as auto or indeed turn them off, that was fairly straight forward.

I will buy a new CDrom drive tomorrow and give that a go.

JustinJSY 23:57 25 Feb 05

CD-RW Drive not recognised in BIOS
[1]
JustinJSY Thu, 24.02.05 | 23:17
I have just added some extra RAM and a USB2 port to my PC. All appeared to be fine until I noiced that the light on my CD-RW drive was permanently on.
When I boot up, there is an error message, saying that it could not be found and there is no sign of it in My Computer. I can't even eject a disk by pressing the button on the drive.

I have checked the wires (power, parallel and audio) and they all seem to be connected correctly.

Is there any way of testing it, or should I give up and get a new one?

Technotiger Thu, 24.02.05 | 23:22
Hi, light permanently on is somtimes an indication that the ide cable is the wrong way round on the back of the drive. I would advise a thorough check again on all connections.
Cheers.

LastChip Thu, 24.02.05 | 23:25
Data cables.
Did you disconnect the CD-RW data cable?
If so, make sure that the cable is correctly positioned. Normally there is a RED tracer down one side of the cable. Make sure this end is attached to Pin 1. Often the cable is "Keyed", so it can't be turned around, but it's just possible.

Dan the Confused Thu, 24.02.05 | 23:38
Have you correctly set up USB in BIOS? There may be a conflict with the CD drive. Make sure USB IRQ is set to auto (or whatever yours is for automatically assigning interrupt requests to USB devices).

JustinJSY Fri, 25.02.05 | 23:42
I've checked all the cables, and still no success. I'm afraid the USB IRQ in the BIOS menu seemed too complicated for me. I couldn't work out how to change it to auto.

Dan the Confused Fri, 25.02.05 | 23:49
Did you try cursor keys?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Fri, 25.02.05 | 23:52
BIOS Settings click here

Dan the Confused Fri, 25.02.05 | 23:52
Try Page Up/Page Down and +/- keys.

LastChip Fri, 25.02.05 | 23:54
Question time!

Did you disconnect the CD-RW drive when you carried out the work? ...no

What operating system are you using? ...XP pro

What is the total size of your machines memory?...512MB

Is the memory size indicating correctly on the boot-up screen? ...no (don't think so), but it is in the properties

Is the data cable keyed? ...if you mean the red line on it, yes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…