Cd-RW drive AND DVD-Rom Drive stopped working

gaudi 22:06 16 Mar 06

Recently my cd-rw drive and dvd-rom drive both stopped working - I don't know what caused it, though before they both stopped working completely, the cd-rw drive would open when i booted the pc, almost everytime. They both make hollow sounds when I put a disk in, though occasionally one or the other manages to read a disk. I have tried updating the firmware, the drives are a
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-224B and
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612

My pc is a HP pavilion 471.uk, with 768mb RAM, 512mb of which i added myself, and an 80Gb maxtor hardrive which i replaced the original 40gp one with. (there was at least 4 months between these two replacements and the current problem) Everything else is what came originally.
I don't have a cd lense cleaner, so haven't tried that..though it doesn't sound to me like that is the problem =All help greatly appreciated :)

jack 22:25 16 Mar 06

Well try the cleaner route.
Also the try reinstalling the drivers
These drivers are usually trouble free but can be up set a by glitch, It happened to me only yesterday when a perhaps over thorough system clean killed the ASDL connection, and my recovery attempts wound up taking out the CD drive drivers.

woodchip 22:31 16 Mar 06

Remove the drives from Device Manager by uninstall, then restart computer drives should then be resetup by windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…