CD-RW discs

EJ 19:36 04 Mar 03

Has anyone a figure for the number of times a CD-RW disc can be deleted and re-written or are they infinately re-useable. All I can see on manufacturers labels is the life of the data stored.
Thanks

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 20:00 04 Mar 03

seem to remember from somewhere in the dim distant past that the average usage is approx 1000 times, (no doubt someone will correct me if i am wrong) However with the cheap price of cd-rs maybe be worth while only burning once even for backup purposes.

pj123 20:20 04 Mar 03

Yep, I also have seen 1000 times.

EJ 20:33 04 Mar 03

Thanks to both. That is far more than I expected so will use for back-ups.

sil_ver 20:49 04 Mar 03

Just bear in mind that all CD-RWs are only as good as the build quality. In other words beware of cheap CD-RWs.

€dstow 08:16 05 Mar 03

Be very, very careful about using CDRWs for backups. There is more than one desperate post in these columns asking what to do as their backup on CDRW is not accessible.

I wouldn't even use them as drinks mats.

€d

Andsome 08:57 05 Mar 03

Come on now, they make pefectly good coasters.

EJ 20:41 05 Mar 03

Hmmmm It looks like I have just bought five expensive coasters!!!!!

Cheers for your advice anyway

€dstow 08:31 06 Mar 03

Coaster3 told me off once for taking his name in vain. Hence drinks mat;-)) (Wern't they robbed at Heathrow?)

€d

Stuartli 09:03 06 Mar 03

CD-RW disks, even the best, don't have the same reflectivity levels as a CD-R, hence the reason they are not always read correctly.

Useful coverage of life expectancy and other valuable information on optical media can be found at:

click here

Stuartli 09:14 06 Mar 03

More sites with fascinating info:

click here

click here

click here

Even more fascinating is that Pioneer, Memorex and Imation, for example, claim life expectancy of DVD - and + media is up to 100 years - or even longer.

Imation link:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…