CD-RW burning

Bez 16:13 09 May 04

When trying to copy files from my hard disc to a CD-RW I get the message, " Could not perform Fixation Artec WRR-52 Z (ID:O HA:1)
I use Nero express 5.5.9.24 bundled;CD-RW 650MB. What am I doing wrong? Everything seems to work well with a CD-R. (windows xp home ed.)

pj123 16:26 09 May 04

At first glance it doesn't seem that you are doing anything wrong providing you are using the Wizard that comes with Nero Express. But another way round this problem is to use InCD and format the CD/RW disk first. Then you can just use "Drag and Drop" from Windows Explorer or, like me PowerDesk 5.

pj123 16:42 09 May 04

Or even Nero 6. Go to the nero site at click here and see if you can get the updates.

Stuartli 17:59 09 May 04

You only have the option of a wizard in the full version of Nero - Nero Express is itself a (rather more elaborate) wizard.

Re Nero 6: You have to have Nero 6 already installed to be able to download and use the updates. There is no possibility of using them with Nero 5 or 5.5 versions.

To its credit, ahead maintains updated versions of Nero 5, although obviously these are not as frequent as in the pre-Nero 6 days.

Totally-braindead 18:05 09 May 04

Did the CDRW disks work before? The reason I ask is some CD writers don't like certain makes of disk. Personally I don't use CDRW disks anymore, for backing up files I make a multisession CDR disk with Nero and just keep adding files on till its full. The reason being the CDRW I used to use became corrupted pretty quickly and since CDRs are so cheap now I no longer use CDRW.

Bez 20:17 09 May 04

Thank you all for your help. I am just downloading the update, and then I'll try again.

Bez 22:04 09 May 04

I have downloaded the update for Nero 5.5. but with the same negative result. Then I tried to copy the files with the wizard and it worked. The 250Mb copying process took ten minutes- a bit longer than copying onto CD-R with Nero.

'Totally-braindead' how do you make a multisession CD-R with Nero?

Stuartli 10:36 10 May 04

When you open Nero (not Nero Express) you should get a panel headed New Compilation.

On the multisession tab select Start (if it's a new compilation) and then go on to provide a file name as required under Label (just type, don't try and delete the word New).

Under the Burn tab check the Write box and then choose your burning speed, number of copies required and Buffer Underrun protection; then click on the New button.

When the main Nero panel comes up, you should see your new File name at the top of the left hand panel; you can now drag and drop any files etc you wish to burn into the new File name. A list will appear of the file(s) in the middle panel as you add them.

You can then burn them to your disk. After this is completed Save the compilation when requested.

On the second and subsequent additions to your multisession CD-R or CD-RW click on the Open an Existing Compilation button and open the file again.

Then select Continue Multisession disk on the Multisession tab and enable Add New Files to Compilation; when no more files can be added (see MB status at bottom of box) you then need to enable the disk to be Finalised on completion.

You can have as many multisession disks in operation as you wish, just ensure you choose the correct file name for each one before adding to it.

It's also important to keep a proper record of what's on each disk, otherwise it can be a nightmare finding what you want...:-)

Smiler 10:55 10 May 04

Regarding the speed of writing to CDRW most cdrw discs are 4X or 10X not many above this speed so it would take a lot longer than a cdr when you consider these are available upto 52X

Bez 19:02 10 May 04

Thank you very much, Stuartli, for your expert advice.
Thank you also, Smiler,for your helpful hint.

Things are so much easier when you have the right know-how!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…