CD R/W Bad Block

Eargasm 08:23 07 Oct 05

My cd writer has stopped working.
When i insert a disc the drive light comes on and a "clicking" sound is heard.

Event viewer reports " the device cdrom has a bad block event id 7.

As a new drive is only about £20 i will try a new one.

My old one is IDE- CD R/W 12x8x32 optical drive.
Is replacement simple, do i need to find out if it is master or slave and if so how?

Thanks

mgmcc 08:45 07 Oct 05

<<< Is replacement simple, do i need to find out if it is master or slave and if so how? >>>

The drive is connected by a Power cable, IDE ribbon cable and, possibly, an Audio cable. Unplug these, remove the (four?) screws that hold the drive in place and slide it out through the front of the case.

At the back of the drive, there are "jumpers", pins that can be bridged to set whether the drive is set as Master (MA), Slave (SL) or Cable Select (CS). Use the same option as your current drive, although the pins to bridge might be laid out differently on a new drive. They will be clearly marked though.

Eargasm 08:51 07 Oct 05

Ok thanks for your quick response, i have just ordered a new one for collection from pc world £16.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…