CD-RW

coolteentom 11:49 27 Jun 04

I currently have two drives (a CDROM and a CDRW).

What settings should I change to just have the CDRW (Should the CDRW be Master, slave etc...)

Thanks for your help

tom

Mister Splendid 11:54 27 Jun 04

Unless there is something wrong with the cdrom drive I would suggest you keep it. It's maximum read speed is likely to be higher unless your cr-rw is very recent and removing it would mean you can no longer copy disk to disk on the fly.

coolteentom 12:08 27 Jun 04

There's a big problem with the drives, which no-one seems to be able to fix, meaning that I cannot copy CDs at all. I've tried just about everything to try and fix it. Hopefully if I take off the CDROM, I will find out if it is the CDROM which is affecting it.

Thanks for your reply

tom

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:37 27 Jun 04

leave cdrom in computer just pull out ide and power cable and retry your ot problemher

Stuartli 14:03 27 Jun 04

The rewriter should be set as the Master and the CD-ROM as the Slave using the appropriate jumper on each drive.

A rewriter should be kept just for that purpose - burning - as its reliability and lifespan is not as high as a basic CD-ROM drive, which can be used to install software, listen to audio and similar activities.

If you use Nero as a burning program it will control the opening and shutting of the CD-ROM and CD rewriter drives' drawers as and when necessary.

The best method to use for burning (in the vast majority of cases) is image i.e. burn the disk from a file(s) etc created (usually temporary) on the HDD. However, on a smaller HDD, this does require defragging more regularly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…