CD R/RW refuses to spit out CD

imarcus2 01:16 06 Jul 05

Have a CD stuck in the CD-R/RW, and neither the eject button nor eject command in IE6/My Comp/ right click have any effect on it.

The CD is not rotating, it's not being read inasmuch that relevant window is not listing the images on the disk.

Shutting down and re-booting doesn't recover the situation either.

Anybody any ideas as to what I can do next to recover operability?

tx, mark.

Gandalph 02:32 06 Jul 05

You should find a very small hole in the front of the CD fascia. Get a paper-clip and straighten it out and push it gently into the hole, this should release the CD draw and eject the CD Rom.

Simsy 03:24 06 Jul 05

a formatted disc, and you've been writing to it using a "packet writing" programme, such as "InCD", or "Direct CD", then this behaviour is normal. The packet writing programme has, (correctly), taken control.

Right click on the icon for the programme(InCD or Direct CD), in the system tray, and you should have an option to eject from there.

Doing it this way will make the programme release control.

I hope this helps, with apologies if it doesn't!!

Regards,

Simsy

Derek 06:46 06 Jul 05

Failing all that....
take out the complete unit and carefully remove the top cover.
you will then come across a release catch to the rear right side (I think) looking at it from the top.
Carefully lift it and the draw can then be pushed open.
Remember that the drawer has to be pushed because normally, a 'live' motor would do the job.
If possible, return the unit under complaint but don't re-install it.

Derek 06:47 06 Jul 05

Failing all that....
take out the complete unit and carefully remove the top cover.
you will then come across a release catch to the rear right side (I think) looking at it from the top.
Carefully lift it and the draw can then be pushed open.
Remember that the drawer has to be pushed because normally, a 'live' motor would do the job.
If possible, return the unit under complaint but don't re-install it.

keith-236785 08:48 06 Jul 05

sounds to me as though the drive has died, or maybe the power connector is loose...open your pc and check the power connector is firmly pushed into the drive, also while you are there, check the IDE cable and also check all the fans/heatsinks for a gathering of dust, carefully blow the dust away from the fans/heatsinks etc (might as well while you are in there)

if your drive still wont open even by using the paper clip as suggested by Gandalph, then i would remove the drive from your pc, and do whatever is needed to get the disc back out.

once out, reconnect to the pc and use a different disc (such as an AOL or TISCALI disc, you know the ones i mean...the ones they keep posting through your door ) and try the drive again, if it still wont work then i think its time to invest in a new cdrom/cdrw/dvdrw drive

prices are so low now that it is really pointless getting a cdrom drive as for about £2 more you can have a cdrw.

BENQ 5232W INTERNAL 52X CDRW DRIVE

£15.34 Web Exclusive Price inc VAT,
In-store Price £21.99 From PCWORLD click here

Good luck

imarcus2 10:34 06 Jul 05

Thanks for the advice chaps, will go away and play along those lines for a while.

imarcus2 11:11 07 Jul 05

Wondrous technology of the paperclip as espoused by Gandalph sorted the glitch.

Once out, the CDR/RW unit behaved perfectly. The misbehaving CD was a re-writable one, and I suspect the fault lies with some poorly burned code on it that left the operating software in limbo.

Many thanks again chaps, for the responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…