CD R/RW Malfunction

Abel 13:52 11 Nov 08

A friend of mine is having trouble with her CD R/RW drive. While it will play a CD without any problems, it will not burn one. The burning software is Roxio. She has a 3 year home-call repair package with Dell, from whom she purchased the computer.
An identical problem occurred soon after purchase, which Dell fixed by reformatting the HD and reinstalling the OS. To overcome the present problem, a new CD R/RW drive has been fitted by Dell, but still it will not burn a CD. Dell’s proposed solution is again to strip the machine down, reformat the HD, and reinstall the OS, which it insists is the only means of overcoming the problem.
I’m far from being a techie but logically, since the drive is an independent piece of hardware which relies on its drivers to operate, and requires a programme, such as Roxio, to perform its play and burn function, what on Earth has the HD and OS got to do with its malfunction? Doubtless one of our members has the technical expertise to advise me on this, which I’ll appreciate greatly.

Abel

The Brigadier 14:18 11 Nov 08

Try a different writing software.
Try this one click here

Abel 15:38 11 Nov 08

Thanks The Brigadier no joy I'm afraid, my friend has alreay done this, and with the appliacation you suggest.

Abel

canarieslover 16:07 11 Nov 08

Go to My Computer and right click on the drive. Select properties - Recording tab - Check that enable recording on this drive is ticked.

Abel 17:58 11 Nov 08

Thanks canarieslover. I've just phoned my friend, who lives about 250 miles away, and there was no tick in the box that you referred to. The tick has now been inserted, and I'll report back later that, hopefully, you provided the solution to the problem. So much for paying Dell to provide problem suppoprt.

Abel

Abel 08:43 12 Nov 08

Good morning canarieslover,
Long after I'd gone to bed last night, my friend in Derbyshire e-mailed me to say that having ticked the little box you advised, she was now able to burn CDs.
Many thanks from us both.

Abel

canarieslover 08:50 12 Nov 08

Glad I was of some assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos