CD-R/RW Drive

larry48 09:45 30 Nov 03

A friend has an e-machines PC running XP Home, with DVD-Rom and a CD-R/RW drives (both Samsung)Recently the CD-R/RW drive refuses to recognise any CD placed in it. If you click on the drive icon in "My Computer" no CD shows up. I've tried replacing the drive with a new one(Novatech) but XP doesn't even recognise the new drive,so I've also tried a new ribbon cable, but with the new cable fitted,XP doesn't recognise either drive!
I'm baffled. Any ideas anyone?

Lead 09:47 30 Nov 03

Do the drives show in the BIOS?

larry48 09:49 30 Nov 03

Don't know. I'm not sure how to check the Bios

Eno2101 10:15 30 Nov 03

Goto My computer, right click and click properties. Goto hardawre tab and click on device manager. When the list comes up click on CD / DVD drives + to show all devices on your PC. Right click on the offending drive and select properties. This will show whether your drive is OK or not. It will also troubleshoot if you select it to.

larry48 10:49 30 Nov 03

I've tried the Device Manager. Both drives are listed, with no problems.

daba 13:15 30 Nov 03

check the drive jumpers - could be both are set as "master"

also have you updated Windows Media Player recently, there seems to be a few drive problems appearing now attributed to WMP...

larry48 18:01 30 Nov 03

Both drives are set to Cable Select as per instructions that came with the PC.As far as I know WMP is up to date, but I'll check on that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…