CD-ROMs at Various Speeds?

gregori 22:38 15 Oct 03

Does anybody know of a utility which will enable a CD-ROM drive to run at a lower speed. I know that it is possible because Nero can do it when reading a CD. Reading the Nero Help and the cfg file it appears that most drives support a variety of specified speeds.

The reason I ask is because I often get CD's that will not read. The drive will hiss away and stuggle as if the CD is out of balance. Put the same CD into my old 6x2x2x CD-RW and a it's little slow but very sure. I reckon that I could get by with x20 instead of x40 the drive is rated at if only I had some way of doing it.

DieSse 00:30 16 Oct 03

click here

try this

The Sack 00:42 16 Oct 03

A CD-ROM will slow down on its own when it encounters errors it cannot handle. If the drive is having problems it is the drive that is at its limits or the disc is knackered.

hugh-265156 00:54 16 Oct 03

if using nero,just select the burn speed under the burn tab.x8 or x12 will do a 700mb disc in under 10 mins(shouldnt give any errors) and shouldnt give any problems with most discs.adjust the read speed/spinup/down time using nero toolkit/nero drivespeed.

if using xp just select the burn speed under start/my computer/(right click your cd drive)/properties and select it here.

use good quality cdr discs

gregori 02:02 16 Oct 03

Thanks DieSse,
CDROMTool seems to be exactly what I want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…