CD ROM/CD RW Problems

caradoc 13:05 09 Jun 04

For some reason my CD ROM and CD RW Drives have stopped working! I have checked Systems - Hardware and according to that my drives are OK.
Everytime I put a disk into the drive I get the message " Unable to read from disk as disk is either corrupted or of different format which cannot be read by the drive". I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but to no avail. I notice that I do not get a "New Hardware" found message when I do this. This has only happened within the last few days. Any ideas please? OS System Win XP Pro, Athlon XP2400, 512 MB RAM.

alan227 16:58 09 Jun 04

Have you tried a system restore to a point before this happened.

caradoc 17:22 09 Jun 04

Have tried a few times today - unfortunately and for some reason system restore will not do so! I have suddenly lost my graphics card and a dll 32 file! Beginning to think there is something unwelcome on my computer. Looks as if a complete re-install is necessary.

Fruit Bat 18:16 09 Jun 04

never heard of a virus or spyware that stops a CD from beimg read. Here are some free progs to remove unwanted items

Anti Virus :-
avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Indivual virus removers:_
Stinger click here
Microworld click here

Trend Online Check click here

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
CW Shredder click here

Try a lens cleaner in the players and glasses cleaner on the disks.

caradoc 18:31 09 Jun 04

Fruit Bat - (Used to see lots of them in Borneo!!)Have a number of the programs you mentioned on my system. Beginning to think a re-install will help but will try your suggestions. I used an optimiser the other day and am wondering if that removed a few "bits" that it shouldn't.
Will try the cleaning process as well Can always break the emergency glass and get the hammer out!
Many thanks.

caradoc 21:27 09 Jun 04

Found the answer to the problem. Nero Burning ROM program was the culprit. Since uninstall everything OK. Read about this on the Microsoft web site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…