CD-Rom won't work in XP Pro

Bantam007 11:18 07 Jan 04

After struggling to install XP Pro and despite replacing my old DVD-Rom drive with a recent XP compatible CD-Rom drive, the drive won't work, nor do I have an icon for it. It exists in the device manager, but with a yellow ! and the comment "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)", but this drive isn't supposed to need a driver and LG don't supply one, any help would be much appreciated.

Big Elf 11:41 07 Jan 04

Try deleting the CD-ROM from device manager and reboot. It should then be detected again and Windows will install the driver again.

Big Elf 11:45 07 Jan 04

This MS article might help as well click here

Bantam007 13:20 07 Jan 04

Tried deleting CD-Rom from device manager to no avail. tried replacing CD-Rom with Philips CD-RW, but the result was exactly the same.

As regards the MS article, I hadn't removed any software and I don't really fancy modifying the registry.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

bananaslik 16:56 07 Jan 04

how is your rom connected?is it on its own edi ribbon.if so have u set the jumper to master.or is it on with the h/drive if so have u put it on the middle of the ribbon &set it as slave.

Bantam007 19:24 07 Jan 04

CD-Rom is master on secondary IDE ribbon. Hard drive is master on primary with Zip drive as slave, zip drive and floppy drive both work fine, but of my 3 other drives (CD-Rom, DVD-Rom and CD-RW) none work!

plsndrs3 19:30 07 Jan 04

Is the device diabled in the BIOS?

Big Elf 20:30 07 Jan 04

Try a new cable.

Rayuk 20:53 07 Jan 04

Have you tried windows update may come up with a driver for you

Bantam007 21:17 07 Jan 04

Yes, device is enabled in the Bios, as for the cable it works fine in Windows 98 (perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm using XP in a dual boot set-up with Windows 98). I tried Windows Update but it shouldn't need a driver anyway according to the manual, it should be plug & play using the ATAPI protocol.

Big Elf 21:24 07 Jan 04

The fact that it works in 98 suggests that the XP driver is corrupt. It's true that it doesn't need a manufacturer supplied driver but it does need the Windows generic driver. Code 39, according to the MS article indicates that this driver is corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…