CD-ROM won't read.

Barrykneeshaw 17:48 17 Dec 03

Suddenly my CD-ROM won't read CD-ROM disks of any type. Windows XP Home tells me that the CD-ROM is present & device manager tells me it's working OK.
But when I put a CD-ROM into the drive it won't open or run anything. Error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" is received when I use the Run command & very similar when I try to access the drive from the Command prompt. The latest Nortons AV gave me "Alert:Malicious Script detected. Object:FileSystem Object, Activity: GetSpecial Folder, File:helpctr.exe" I selected the recommended "Stop this script" & ran Nortons. it did NOT detect a virus. I am also running Zone Alarm firewall.
The PC is a e-machine e770 with DVD and CD-RW.
I am completely lost here. Dare I run the supplied recovery disks thru the DVD drive or does the I/O error message preclude this? If possible I don't want to format my hard drive. I don't even understand what the I/O error message means anyway! Can anybody assist, please?

citadel 18:53 17 Dec 03

when my cd rom had problems it was because the laser was not working properly and caused reading errors. I just got a new one as they are very cheap.

handy4x 18:53 17 Dec 03

try to recover to a previous stable date in system restore, all programs /accesories/system restore and folow the instructions and you may get back before the virus struck then run norton again with the latest updates

Barrykneeshaw 22:44 17 Dec 03

Sadly system restore even to "way back" hasn't helped, but thanks handy4x, it was worth a go.
I may have to go Citadels route but before I do has anyone else any suggestions? I am particularly worried about that I/O device error message.

MAJ 22:51 17 Dec 03

Is there a chance that you could try the drive in another PC, Barrykneeshaw, that'll tell you for sure if the drive is kaput or not?

Barrykneeshaw 23:58 17 Dec 03

Thanks Maj, that's worth a go this weekend (assuming Xmas allows) in the meantime can anyone else explain the I/O message? Could my BIOS also have been affected? Surely not?

FormatKing 01:41 18 Dec 03

ther e are some virus that can affect cd rom drives make sure cd rom 1 st boot device in bios then try booting from your win xp cd if that works cd rom drive ok and software or virus prob

Stuartli 09:17 18 Dec 03

Have you checked the leads/cable connections are tight?

The most likely reason, apart from a faulty lead, is that the laser has given up the ghost.

New CD-ROM drives (you actually mention both CD and DVD drivers) are only around £10-12 at present and a DVD-ROM (much better value) not all that more expensive.

If you actually have a DVD-ROM drive, most have two lasers, with one for DVDs and the other for CDs - the latter's laser might have gone AWOL.

Barrykneeshaw 19:18 20 Dec 03

Thanks all! I'll wait until after Xmas & get a new one fitted. Best wishes to everybody for the Xma Season!

Barrykneeshaw 22:51 28 Dec 03

Bought a new CD-RW for £30.00 & fitted it in 5 minutes. Works perfectly now. Thanks to all for their help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…