//some 3rd party need geo

CD Rom problems

Prism 23:26 09 Nov 04

I have a problem when trying to run any software disk from my CD Rom drive's. The problem only started after I had what appeared to be virus and hijacker symptoms and ran Mcafee antivirus to sort them out. These problems have been cured but now when I try to access my CD Rom I get the following message.
16bit windows sub system.
C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications.
Choose close to terminate.

I have a CD Rom and a Writer and get the same message from both but they will play a Music CD.
Any ideas as to what has happened ?

sean-278262 23:40 09 Nov 04

Sounds like the virus replaced a windows component with itself and Mcaffe deleted this file when you removed the virus. Have you tried a windows repair install. I would wait for a few more replies first but thats what it sounds like.

Also a repair install WONT delete all your files but just the windows ones.

Prism 18:17 10 Nov 04

Have not tried a repair/install, as you say wait and see what other ideas are out there but you may well be right so thanks for the sugestion.

Prism 18:17 10 Nov 04

Have not tried a repair/install, as you say wait and see what other ideas are out there but you may well be right so thanks for the sugestion.

woodchip 18:21 10 Nov 04

Remove the CD drive from Device Manager and restart computer

woodchip 18:22 10 Nov 04

You could also put your XP disc in comp and from Run Box type SFC /SCANNOW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…