CD Rom playing up and missing files?

Barnacarry 13:51 30 Jan 05

My CD drive icon keeps disappearing from the My Computer file and I have to use the Device Manager to find it each time. I have just checked in system folder of the Computer Management and discovered that the device 'disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal'. Upon checking further it states that 'The device \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block' There seems to be two files involved in this problem according to the Event Viewer - 'umpnpmgr.dll' (when is disappears) & 'loLogMsg.dll' (for the bad block). I have searched for these files but I do not have them. The device involved is a Samsung Combo SM 304B and was pre-installed with no paperwork or CD. Do I have to download these two files and install them and if so, where from and where do they go?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 30 Jan 05

No CD/DVD
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is
sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-

08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.

Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

CD writing problems
click here

Barnacarry 14:33 30 Jan 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\. I followed your instructions but to no avail, It's still not there. I'll study the link you gave and see if that will help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…