CD-Rom not working though apparently trouble free!

Wuzzo 14:17 23 Dec 04

In the past my Cd-Rom has worked perfectly but I now find it won't! Despite running the troubleshooter and being told there is no problem it still will not read a disk. The drive rotates the disk and I am then asked to insert a disk! Re-loading the disk does nothing. I am on Win. XP home.
Can anyone help please.

JIM 14:26 23 Dec 04

Try uninstalling the drive via the device manager for a start and let windows install from reboot.See if anything changes.

Stuartli 14:54 23 Dec 04

have you right clicked on the drive in My Computer and checked that AutoPlay is configured as you intend?

Gongoozler 15:01 23 Dec 04

Hi Wuzzo. Check the cables to the drive are secure (the ribbon at both ends). If the cables are secure and the settings in Windows are good, then unfortunately it is quite likely the drive has failed. A new one is about £15 and very simple to install.

Wuzzo 15:46 23 Dec 04

Thanks for all your suggestions but I have eventually discovered the problem. Probably due to a Microsoft update I found it was enabled for digital audio, (not me!) and in disabling this everything is working fine. Once again thanks for your suggestions and a Happy Christmas to you all!

Stuartli 17:29 23 Dec 04

Digital sound can only be enabled/disabled by the user.

If you enable digital sound there is a warning that it may not work with all drives and to disable it if you are having trouble with CD sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…