CD ROM not responding.

JesperMP 12:09 12 Oct 05

I have a HP Compaq dc7100SFF stationary PC. It has Windows XP SP2.
I tried a trial version of a Paragon CD ROM emulator. It didnt work, so I uninstalled it.
However, after this the regular CD-ROM drive doesnt work either !
The drive is a Compaq HL-DT-ST GCR-8483B.
Possibly it has nothing to do with the drive itself, because if I attach another CD-ROM or DVD drive via USB, it also fails to work.

In Windows Hardware Device Manager it says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

As far as I understand, a CD-ROM drive uses the native drivers that comes with Windows. And sure enough there are only Microsoft certified drivers under the Driver Details (cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, storprop.sys).

Uninstalling and reinstalling the CD-ROM drive (as the Troubleshooter suggests) doesnt make any difference.

There is no system restore points to a state before the unfortunate events happened, so I am completely stumped.

How do I get out of this situation ???

As you can imagine, I will be really helpful if someone has a golden bit of hint to get me out of this fix.

billyliv 12:47 12 Oct 05

Time for a system repair. (If you have the installation disc). Cheers, Bill

xania 13:03 12 Oct 05

sfc /scannow might just do the repairs you need. Oterwise, insert your OS CD and allow it to repair your current installation.

JesperMP 13:12 12 Oct 05

Thanks, I will try to use the install CD to let it do a system repair. Hopefully it goes fully automatically.

(And I guess it can find the CD-ROM because it loads its own drivers from the CD - otherwise I have a catch-22)

xania 13:30 12 Oct 05

Check your BIOS settings to ensure you have it to boot from CD before HDD. I normally set mine to CD-FDD-HDD. Put the CD in the drive before switching on. Follow on-screen instructions depending on your mobo.

Good luck!

DeadBrick 21:31 12 Oct 05

Sorry, Wasn't thinking straight (Posted as Billyliv) Go to Boot and see if you can download the CD Rom drivers onto Floppy. Cheers, Bill L.

JesperMP 12:31 13 Oct 05

The problem is solved, however it was the IT department that got wind of me having trouble. So they stepped in before I could try the system repair procedure.
I was trying to fix it myself, as it normally is near impossible to get an appointment with the 'doctor'.

It took him 2 hours of work to figure it out.
Looking over his shoulder it appears that he was able to pinpoint the malicious file or driver or whatever and reinstall it. He then quickly whizzed off to other users with problems before I could ask him how he did it.

So I cannot say if a system repair would have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…