CD ROM not recognized

eric_cantona 12:26 28 Oct 04

A quick one

My mate recently got a new HP tower PC (pavillion i think)

All was well, but recently his CD-ROM drive has been playing up.

It's as if his PC doesn't recognise it, e.g. in 'My Computer' if he puts a new cd in, clicks the appropriate drive, he gets a 'Please insert CD' message. (he's got Win XP Home btw)

This happend intermittently, but it frustrating him. He is no expert so I need some tips that he can try himself.

I told him to go to device manager to see if there were any exclamation marks etc there, but he says not.

Any tips?

captain birdseye 14:51 28 Oct 04

Might be worth uninstalling (start>settings>control panel>add remove hardware) and letting the computer find it and install the drivers again.

SANTOS7 15:22 28 Oct 04

If you are not sure before you decide to take the sides off your tower to see if the ide cable is loose, your pc is new, use the onsite warranty agreement if you have one if the optical drive is faulty they will replace it for you if you do to much and still don't resolve your problem you may invalidate any agreement you have, it may well be a software issue but if it is not use whats at your disposal,good luck........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…