//some 3rd party need geo

cd-rom not recognised

geedad 18:26 19 Feb 05

My grandson is using Win 98, and his CD-Rom is not showing in Device Manager. I have relayed the advice previously shown in the Forum, but to no avail. He has tried Disk Clean, Defrag and a general clean up. Has anyone any further thoughts on this ?
Thanks
geedad

JonnyTub 18:32 19 Feb 05

Check the cables that go into the back of the drive haven't worked themselves loose.

Diodorus Siculus 18:35 19 Feb 05

It could well be dead...

Nowadays, they can be picked up quiet cheaply so it might be worth getting a new one - even a CD RW drive is less than £20.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 19 Feb 05

No CD/DVD
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

geedad 06:38 22 Feb 05

JonnyTub,Diodorus Siculus and Fruit Bat /\0/\.
Many thanks, we've now concluded that the CD-Rom has decided to quit!
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…