cd rom to hard drive/how do i do it ?

charlton200 16:09 21 Dec 03

hello,
i have got a crossword puzzle cd rom.
i have to put the disc in evertime i use it.
is there a way i can put it on the hard drive.
i have tried the add and remove install programs put no luck.
any ideas please.
many thanks.

Sheila-214876 17:27 21 Dec 03

If the programme is well written you should have an option to install "complete" or "minimum". If you install minimum you will have to put the CD in everytime. If you had an option for a complete install you don't need the CD. Badly written programmes do not give you this option.

Diemmess 17:31 21 Dec 03

The CDROM is produced this way to make sure you have a valid (fully paid up) disk.

There is no such thing as total security and I don't doubt some nerd somewhere could re-write all the fancy code. That is an esoteric thing known only to those who live in that sort of world.

MAJ 18:12 21 Dec 03

Or you could try a CD-ROM emulator. click here

I don't know of any free ones though.

Big Elf 18:23 21 Dec 03

This may or may not work.

Uninstall any software that you've previously installed for this program first.

Create a new folder on your hard drive. Copy the entire CD onto it (ensuring that any hidden system files are made visible in Explorer first). Remove the CD and run the install routine from the hard drive and with luck it may work.

This doesn't always work but it's the way I got AutoRoute Express 2000 to run without the CD being in the drive.

hugh-265156 18:55 21 Dec 03

try daemon tools click here

hugh-265156 18:56 21 Dec 03

sorry download link click here

Sheila-214876 13:01 22 Dec 03

Big Elf, a case in point there. When I installed Autoroute I got an option of Standard (which meant I need the CD in) or Complete (which takes a lot of Hard Disk space but I don't need the CD) I chose Complete.

charlton200 give Big Elf suggestion a try. If it works, great. If it doesn't you will have to resign yourself to making sure the CD is in every time. (You will be prompted for it anyway)

Big Elf 14:01 22 Dec 03

I agree that later version of AutoRoute have that option but I'm fairly sure it wasn't an option in the 2000 version.

charlton200 15:04 22 Dec 03

hello again,
i should have made myself more clearer.

when i put in the cd rom there is no install feature on the disc.

this is the sun computer crosswords,which seems a good program ,but only runs from the disc.

i was hoping there would be a way of putting it on the hard drive.

many thanks for all your help.

butterscotch 15:28 22 Dec 03

Do as Big Elf says, but rather than choosing the Install option see if there is an EXE file & run the program from that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now