cd rom drive's vanished!

mco 20:25 06 Sep 03

hi - recently got 'tower' upgraded but they retained old 16x cd rom drive to save me money - worked fine last week when I installed something off it but today when I tried to use cd and it wouldnt install I went to control panel - system- device manager and the cdrom isnt even mentioned - how can it have disappeared? ?!(Physically the cd's go in ok; the green light goes on and it whirrs.)Got exclamation mark by IDE controllers (whatever they are) Windows offered to update them but the download wasn't certified safe and I didn't know if I dare do it. Keep getting lots of messages re MS-DOS compatibility mode and 32 - bit drivers. Oh, and 'fatal exceptions'. I'm not technical at all but am I right in thinking I should have bought a new cdrom drive? Can I find where my old one's vanished to in the system? Can I safely download this IDE update thing? Are these problems to do with mixing old with new? Sorry for the layman's language!

bremner 20:53 06 Sep 03

The exclamation mark menas the IDE controller is not working and without it the CD will not work. Allowing Windows to update it should resolve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…