CD-Rom drives not working

Carronade 15:40 16 Sep 04

The drives are a Samsung SC-152c (drive d) and an Atapi CD-R/RW 20x10x40 (drive e). At start-up (from the BIOS?) the Samsung shows briefly on the screen and the lights on both flash.

Neither shows on the "My Computer" panel. I've tried downloading drivers, without success - the Samsung appears, clicking 'Properties' it reports as working correctly, until I try to use it, when it starts up as above, then disappears from 'My Computer'.

The Atapi is listed in the System 32 Drivers folder but, apart from that, nothing.

Help, please.

Cuddles 16:05 16 Sep 04

Have you looked in Device Manager for yellow ! exclamation marks?

Carronade 16:15 16 Sep 04

Thanks, Cuddles.

When the D drive shows in Device Manager, I'm told it is working properly. Then when I try to use it, it disappears, from DM and My Computer. E drive, the Atapi, doesn't appear at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 16 Sep 04

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

Carronade 23:23 16 Sep 04

Fruit Bat /\0/\,I've looked again at Device Manager. Neither drive is listed. The nearest I can find is "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" which lists "primary" and "secondary" channels and "SIS PCI IDE Controller". All are said to be working properly. Running the Hardware Update Wizard tells me that there is no better match than the programs installed.

Would it be wise to delete the primary and secondary controllers and try to re-install them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…