CD Rom Drives not seen

leedsafc 17:21 26 Feb 06

Just upgraded MB to Asus K8N Cpu sempron 2880+. when i boot to windows running win98se both cd rom drives aren't shown in the system although the bios shows they are both there. In Device manager in the Hard disc controllers there are exclamation marks against Primary IDE controller (single filo)and secondry IDE controller(filo). Also there is Standard Dual PCI IDE controller both unmarked. I cannot install the software because the Rom drives are not recognised. I Have two HD of 20gig each All jumpers are set to the master /slave config on both the HD and the cd roms. Help please

Stuartli 17:39 26 Feb 06

Try uninstalling both drives in Device Manager and then rebooting. Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM drivers.

Just one other point. As you have installed a new mobo it may well be that the drives' leads and connections are either loose or incorrectly fitted.

leedsafc 17:47 26 Feb 06

Thanks i did that but on boot up it searches for drivers and installs them from the win98 folder on the HD and hence the same problem re-occurs. If i cancel the search the system freezes and i have to re-boot. All connections are secure.

Stuartli 20:56 26 Feb 06

Try setting your Bios to boot from CDROM and then, with the Windows 98SE in the CD-ROM drawer, Save and Exit.

This should install 98SE again using Windows basic drivers and thus the missing drivers in all instances you mention.

It's also well worth downloading and adding the Unofficial 98SE SP pack afterwards from:

click here

which will fully update your OS.

leedsafc 22:46 26 Feb 06

Thanks for the info but i do not have the win98 cd

leedsafc 22:33 27 Feb 06

New development. At boot up searching for drivers, at "install PCI IDE Controllers" the file found is C:\windows\inf\mshdc.inf after the install i then get the following message:
"Multifunctioning Device has some child devices using 32bit drivers this config is not supported blah blah blah" full text if any one has any meaningful suggestions

terryf 23:05 27 Feb 06

If you go to click here , search for windows 98 and use something like Azureus you could download a complete copy of win98, burn a CD and instal from that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac