CD-Rom Drives Not Found

gavcormorhan 13:46 08 Jan 07

My PC has suddenly lost both my CD/DVD and CD Writer drives. They no longer appear in My Computer and when I ran the computer information on my hardware, it says that their is no CD-Rom drive installed.
There is power to them, as both drives open and close. I have tried unplugging all cables to both drives in the hope that new hardware would be found after re-connecting them. This did not work.
Having scanned through other peoples issues, I tried going into regedit, 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current ControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters (there was no lower filter)but this did not work.
I also downloaded a fix 'XP CD DVD Fix' posted by Doug Knox, but this did not work.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Technotiger 13:53 08 Jan 07

Try this one, has worked for others ...

click here

Stuartli 14:12 08 Jan 07

Try uninstalling both drives in Device Manager and then rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and install the basic CDROM drivers.

By the way if the drives are listed in Device Manager when in Safe Mode, then it's almost certainly loosely fitted or damaged leads or cables.

gavcormorhan 15:03 08 Jan 07

Technotiger, I'm afraid this did not work.

gavcormorhan 15:04 08 Jan 07

Stuatli, even in safe mode the CD drives were not found in the device manager.

Technotiger 15:06 08 Jan 07

Hmmm, try Stuartli's fix, if still no luck then the only other thing I can think of is System Restore - though I doubt if that would work eiher, but worth a try.

Technotiger 15:07 08 Jan 07

either , even!

rawprawn 15:10 08 Jan 07

There is a "Guded Help" you can download as a fix. It's worth a try.
click here

gavcormorhan 15:10 08 Jan 07

I have tried system restore - it didn't work!

ed-0 15:15 08 Jan 07

Check the standard cmos page in the bios, are they listed. If not, are they on auto detect?

gavcormorhan 15:20 08 Jan 07

Rawprawn, the guided help tries to do what I've already done, i.e. remove the upper and lower filters. When I downloaded it, it states that these filters are not there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac