CD-Rom Drivers?

thicasabrick 21:08 28 Nov 04

I was just reading a thread when one of the answers given may well help me with a problem I've been having. My question is, if you format your hard drive and then re-install windows XP do you need to download the latest drivers for your CD-Rom and CD-RW drive or does Windows XP supply suitable drivers for these drives.

VoG II 21:10 28 Nov 04

Windows should supply suitable drivers.

woodchip 21:13 28 Nov 04

You only need to load drivers for DOS. Not any Windows as MSCDEX supplies all the CD read Drivers but for writing the come with software like NERO or XP loads a cut down Writing software and drivers

thicasabrick 21:18 28 Nov 04

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you tell me why some games e.g. Rome says you need the latest drivers for your CD-Rom, mouse, key board, etc.

alnwrd 22:34 28 Nov 04

Did you remember to load the motherboard drivers after windows re-install?

thicasabrick 23:00 28 Nov 04

alnwrd, no I didn't load motherboard drivers. None came with the computer.

Rtus 23:15 28 Nov 04

Xp loads windows drivers to suit CDRW/CDR/& other interfaces required during install .however 1 note > Some boards require 4in1 drivers (ali) USB2 motherboard updated drivers to allow Xp to communicate correctly with the the USB bus. for those units with SP1 /2 this is generally no longer required. But please be aware if your machine was purchased pre activated with XP it can be frustrating to reinstall cleanly...Check all relative posts on here (helproom)before attempting it..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…