CD-ROM Drive not working

NeedtoKnow 18:28 05 Mar 03

TMy CD-Rom drive is not working! The only copy of the drivers I have is on CD. How can I re-install the drivers to get my CD-Rom working again??

Reformat 18:40 05 Mar 03

A shot in the but go to your pop into your BIOS and on the advanced tab you look for Hard disks and set it to auto detect hard disks and f10.
Hope this helps.

Stuartli 20:04 05 Mar 03

You don't need a separate driver for a CD-ROM drive - the standard generic Windows driver is all it needs; it's the same for a rewriter.

You may be thinking of firmware.

Try deleting the drive in Device Manager and then letting Windows reinstall New Hardware.

woodchip 20:07 05 Mar 03

Is it recognised by cmos when you start your computer, also does it show up in windows

Stuartli 20:14 05 Mar 03

Have you also checked that the power supply, audio cable etc are correctly and firmly installed?

Does the power light come on at all? It should be lit permanently whilst your system is switched on.

Have you also tried it with headphones or does the drive not spin at all?

If the worse comes to the worse, you can get a new, branded CD-ROM drive for between £12-15 and, even better, a DVD=ROM drive for around £25-£30.

tupacfan911 03:07 06 Sep 04

if the cd rom doesnt show up in my computer, then you probably have a Interupt 13 hooker, such as NYB virus, forcing the drivers to run in compatibility mode. visit the symantec website for a nyb fix

Stuartli 08:23 06 Sep 04

Not necessarily - a loose connection(s) will cause the same symtoms.

If the drive doesn't show in Device Manager yet does so when in Safe Mode, then it is almost certainly a loose connection or connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…