cd-rom drive not working

olddromola 08:23 29 Aug 10

Don't panic!... Don't panic! but my laptop has stopped recognising its cd rom player. In my case that's the 'E' drive. No autorun, no 'send to' facility, nothing. It was working fine yesterday but not today. I get the whirring sound when I insert a disc but no recognition from the computer.

Device manager indicates no problem and I've tried a system restore, so whet else can I try? If the hardware is broken I can easily buy an external drive as they are inexpensive. Any recommendations?

Taff™ 08:41 29 Aug 10

Which Operating system? Have you removed any CD or burning software such as Roxio - it could be the upper lower filters but let us know the answer first.

onthelimit 09:11 29 Aug 10

If it is the drive, a lot of laptops have an easily replaceable one - more convenient than the external variety.

olddromola 09:22 29 Aug 10

I'm on Vista. No, I haven't been using Roxio although I was burning cds the other day simply using the Vista facility.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 29 Aug 10

1. In device manage uninstall the CD drive - scan for new hardware and let windows reinstall it.

2. If the above doesn't work
and you possibly see error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7.
You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes
click here works for vista or XP
click here

or manual fix
Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.

olddromola 16:10 29 Aug 10

Hi Fruit Bat -

Many thanks you your detailed suggestions. I've tried the Fix.zip and also I manually deleted the Upperfilters and the Lowerfilters as you so clearly described, however the computor still won't recognise the drive. Before buying an external one (they're less than £20) is there anything else I might try?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:24 29 Aug 10

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

olddromola 09:49 30 Aug 10

I know not why.....
for mine is not to reason why.....but the drive decided to resume normal service as of 08.00 hrs this morning.

Very many thanks to you all, especially Fruit Bat, for all your suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:52 30 Aug 10

May be I should have said you needed to reboot after the regedit fix.

I assume you have switched off overnight and back on again this morning. :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…