CD ROM Drive not recognised in Safe Mode ...

Mimi1 19:31 07 May 05

I'm trying to uninstall and reinstall some software from a CD ROM in Safe Mode (it's not installing the driver in Normal Mode).

However, it won't detect a CD ROM drive in Safe Mode and says "it's been moved or removed". It's definitely there in Normal Mode, so I can't understand this.

Can someone please explain this. Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 19:44 07 May 05

What OS? If win98 then it will not be visible.

Diodorus Siculus 19:45 07 May 05

Try copying hte CD to a folder on the desktop and then try to run from there in safe-mode.

Mimi1 19:47 07 May 05

Windows 98SE.

Mimi1 19:55 07 May 05

Diodorus .. how would I go about copying this disk please, can't see how I'd be able to do this.

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 07 May 05

Create a floder on the windows desktop called CDROM

Open windows explorer

open the CD within windows explorer

select all contents

drag and drop to new folder

Boot into safe mode

open the folder on desktop

run the relevant program

jack 20:02 07 May 05

I believe the this same situtation applies to all Winodze O/S

Ie When in safe mode all drivers are by passed.
This means any external device requiring a driver
will not be available to you. This includes
Printer/Scanners /Modems/Drives

The only way would as DS suggests in full mode
copy the drive contens to a folder on the Hard drive and work from there

Why exactly are you tring to do this in safe mode?

pompyx 20:02 07 May 05

I wonder if this might help.

How to Make Your CD-ROM Drive Accessible in Safe Mode.

View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 194846
Last Review : December 16, 2004
Revision : 1.1
This article was previously published under Q194846
On this page

This article describes how to make your CD-ROM drive accessible in Safe Mode. This may be useful if you are having problems installing Windows from CD-ROM, or if you are trying to determine if CD-ROM problems also occur in Safe Mode.
Back to the top

To make your CD-ROM drive accessible in Safe Mode, use the following steps:

NOTE: For this procedure to work correctly, real mode CD-ROM drivers must be installed. If you are unable to obtain and install the original real mode drivers for your CD-ROM drive, consult the manufacturer of your CD-ROM drive, or see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: 190303
TITLE : How to Use Real-Mode CD-ROM Drivers from Windows 98 Startup Disk

1. Restart your computer to a command prompt. To do so, use the appropriate method:

• Windows 95

Restart your computer, and when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, press F8, and then choose Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.
• Windows 98

Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.

2. At the command prompt, type "win /d:m" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

Back to the top

• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows 95 Service Pack 1

woodchip 20:06 07 May 05

The only way, is copy the the cd rom to desktop then run frm Copy in Safe mode

Mimi1 20:19 07 May 05

Tried copying CD to desktop and running in Safe Mode, but it won't let me. Message up saying the driver or network communication is unavailable. It's just refusing to acknowledge the CD disk drive.

woodchip 20:34 07 May 05

You should copy by right click and drag the cd to desktop from my computer then click copy. Then Start in safe mode Double click the setup file in the CD program you want to run from the copy in Safe mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…