CD Rom Drive not reading discs

zemdarin 14:38 23 Aug 05

Could somebody please advise. My friends CD ROM drive says it is working, but will not read any disc that is put into it. The CD/RW drive works fine. Is there something that may need switching on? I have made sure there are no loose leads in the tower.
When inserting a disc it says there is no disc in the drive.

DieSse 14:53 23 Aug 05

The most likley thing is the drive has failed. CD-ROM drives are hardly made anymore - it's very cheap to replace it with a DVD-ROM drive - with added bonus that you can read DVDs!

Stuartli 15:02 23 Aug 05

Try right clicking on the drive letter in My Computer, clicking on its Properties and configuring AutoPlay.

Alternatively try Opening it from the menu.

If this fails, check out the drive's Properties in Device Manager and ensure that the drive is Enabled from the General tab as well as "Working Correctly". Try the drive in use again.

If this doesn't work, Disable it from Device Manager and reboot to allow Windows to reinstall the basic CDROM driver (all that is required).

However, if you still have no luck then the most likely cause (apart from loose or damaged cables or leads) is that the laser has gone to heaven...:-(

A new one is buttons these days and even a CD-RW rewriter is only £10-£15, but a better bet would be a DVD-ROM drive as it will play both audio CDs and DVDs, can be used to install software and generally free the rewriter for its key purpose, burning, thus helping to lengthen its lifespan.

zemdarin 16:16 23 Aug 05

Thank you DieSse and Stuartli
Yes I have checked all those things, so I guess it must be the laser has gone. Will advise them to get a new DVD rom as you suggest.
It says "This device is working properly" but it obviously isn't. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…