CD rom drive not operating correctly

gashman 09:55 24 Jun 06

I have a problem with my CD rom drive !

it works when i go to play CDs through my start,programs,accessories then entertainment on the pop ups and the dvd player works when i go into start, programs and then select dvd player !

But when i go into my computer it does not recognise anything in the drive and it will not run, it just says the E:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready.

i have tried to put on CD school software for my daughter and for my MP3 player,

I have had a look on my device manager and the drive is a toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1402 and it says the device is ready,

when a disk is put in the tray it does not do the automatic run as expected like it use to and i am running windows 98 can anyone help

spuds 10:19 24 Jun 06

Have you tried re-installing the drivers or software provided.

Have you tried a 'run' or 'open' procedure via My Computer, instead of a auto start.

gashman 09:59 25 Jun 06

i have tried a hardware driver cd which i have found , i have gone through my computer and tried to open it but is saying the same error E:\ is not accessible it does not notice anything in the drive when i press on properties it comes up general or volumes the info of the discin the drive is shown in volumes but unable to do anything with this with right mouse button

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 25 Jun 06

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

gashman 19:12 26 Jun 06

i have tried the problem going into device manager and the driver has now been lost from the list not sure what the situation is now , buy the way i am not up to speed on computers so anymore info given o would appreciate it to be very specific cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…