CD-ROM DRIVE DRAWER WONT STAY OPEN

BILLARICKY 18:52 03 Nov 03

The CD-ROM drive drawer won't stay open long enough for me to put a disc in.
It is currently installed as a 'slave' and on the middle plug of the hard drive ide cable, which in turn is connected to the main board to ide skt 1

AubreyS 19:01 03 Nov 03

Have you tried removing it in device manager then rebooting the PC? Just an idea.

BILLARICKY 20:36 13 Nov 03

Tried your suggestion but it didn't solve the problem.

hugh-265156 20:40 13 Nov 03

put it on ide2 as master or as slave to another cd drive.

keep you HD`s on ide 1

Bullyboy 20:41 13 Nov 03

Something is telling the CD-ROM to close, like an apllication of some kind. Could be Cd-Player, Media Player or even a game.

Try hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del (if ur using W2000 or XP) Run Task manager and see what programs are running.

This may solve it.

If you have no applications running, have a look in the Processes tab, and see what is running in there.

Bully

mark e 20:57 13 Nov 03

leave the power cable connected Remove the IDE cable then see if it stays open. if it does its a software problem

narke 21:36 13 Nov 03

I used to have the same problem with a liteon CD writer. I could stop it happening by disconnecting the data cable and rebooting, but the problem used to come back on a regular basis. I only managed to cure it with a firmware update. Not sure if this is relevant but maybe something to bear in mind if all else fails

bof:) 23:57 13 Nov 03

Hi BILLARICKY,

I had exactly the same problem sometime ago,

click here

will this help you?

Mike

Audeal 00:33 14 Nov 03

BILLARICKY. I had the same trouble for some time until I found a cure. It might not work for you but did for me. First if you look at the thread that bof:) has given you, you will see my response to the same problem in that thread. Take a look and try my suggestion. The actual cure that I found means removing the CD from the computer. You might be able to do this while it is still installed, so try this:

I found that the guides that the draw comes along where rather dry and prevented the draw from coming out all the way and then it closed very quickly.

You need to lubricate the guides liberally to make the draw travel out its full length.

If you can get at the guides then try lubricating them. I used Butter to lubricate mine.

If you can't get at the guides then you will need to remove the drive from the computer and remove the top cover on the drive, this will expose the mechanism and you can then lubricate the guides.

Since I did mine using this method I have not had my draw return once without my say so, It now behaves itself.

This may not work for you, of course, but it did for me and I think it is worth a try. I hope it works for you.

Stuartli 09:02 14 Nov 03

An even better form of grease is the "dry" type such as EasyGrease or Slick50 lubricant in an aerosol.

They will act like a normal grease but will not soil anything that comes into contact - other uses are for double-glazing doors and window locks, car door locks, hinges etc. Cost is well under £2 per aerosol.

One other possible thought re your CD-ROM drawer is that the eject button is sticking.

did you solve it yet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…