CD-Rom Drive Disappeared in Windows 98?

darkjedimistress 12:28 07 Jun 03

Hi there. I have physically transferred a HDD from one base unit to another and having booted it have found that Windows doesn't find any CD-Rom Drive. It is running Windows 98 and when boots up it mentions in the CMOS that the drive is there. The CD-Rom is in the IDE2, I have tried it as a Master and as a Slave (I have actually tried 6 different CD-Roms now and various cables). If I boot with the Windows ME floppy disk is recognises the CD-Rom and assigns it to E normally. How can I get Windows 98 to recognise the CD-Rom once booted? Any help would be great.

Lú-tzé 12:31 07 Jun 03

Try the add new hardware wizard in the contol panel - as it is recognised in the BIOS it may be picked up by the wizard.

darkjedimistress 12:33 07 Jun 03

Okay I will try this now. Am assuming I need a driver for this? Am I right in thinking the CD-Rom needs to be set as a master in IDE2 as its the only drive in that IDE?

darkjedimistress 12:37 07 Jun 03

I tried the hardware wizard and tried to manually find the CDRom Controller and it gave me 3 options, a sony/mitsumi and one other. The drive i have is a 12x Memorex CDRW. I assume if I put the driver on a floppy disk (I can find it on the net somewhere) I should have more luck as I can click HAVE DISK?

Lú-tzé 12:38 07 Jun 03

You may need your win98 cd depending on your setup - the other option is that the cab files containing the drivers are already on your hdd.

As the cd-rom is the only drive on ide2 then it will be ok set to master.

Lú-tzé 12:41 07 Jun 03

"I should have more luck as I can click HAVE DISK?" - yes, that should be the case.

I had not realised that it was a cd-rw drive; try with the driver if you can get one.

darkjedimistress 12:42 07 Jun 03

I have the Windows 98 CD but the computer will not read it as I can't get the CD-Rom to work! I am just downloading the driver and will try it that way. Ta.

darkjedimistress 13:04 07 Jun 03

Excellent, it all loaded fine the driver I downloaded! All running fine now. Thanks for your help Lu-tze, much appreciated, have a great weekend!

Stuartli 15:38 07 Jun 03

CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters don't need a driver other than the standard Windows version.

As you appear to have both a CD-ROM and rewriter drives shouldn't they be D and E respectively?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…