CD-rom drive "device not ready" ????

dagbladet 10:11 01 Dec 03

Morning all.For reasons best known to itself my cd-rom drive has just stopped working.
Win 98 PII 233mhz.
It was working fine then the next time I went to use it I got the "device not ready" warning. The tray opens and closes no problem, the green light flashes on start up. I've gone inside and checked the leads, no joy. I have changed the drive with another that is working on another machine, no joy. I changed the big flat grey cable that goes from the drive to the machine, same. In 'system' the properties say the device is working properly and no drivers required. All the symptoms are exactly the same for the original and the test (working) drive. I have reached the limit of my technical abilities and knowledge. Any ideas please folks ? Thanks in anticipation.
Dag

dagbladet 12:13 01 Dec 03

^

Jules Dale 13:07 01 Dec 03

i sometimes get it when to many things are happening all at once, the best way i find is to, put the cd in and wait till i hear the disk wind up, then you should hear it working then hopefully, your cd rom will run,
best of luck

dagbladet 13:17 01 Dec 03

no nothing.

xania 13:33 01 Dec 03

I would suspect a S/W fault within windows. If you have a bootable floopy with CD drivers on it, try to boot up that way and see if you have any joy.

dagbladet 16:02 01 Dec 03

re-loaded the drivers, nothing. It doesn't recognise that there is a disc in the tray. If I check properties of the disc, it shows disc empty.

dagbladet 16:03 01 Dec 03

Whats a S/W fault please ?

Jakey boy 16:12 01 Dec 03

I had this about a year ago with the original drive that came with my system. I tried everything, but in the end it was apparent that the drive was goosed - the laser head was burnt out I believe. Did you say that the other drive you tried was working ok? If not, then I agree it looks like a S/W (software) fault. I'll do a bit of research and try to get back to you.

Jakey boy 16:22 01 Dec 03

howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,,139+24564+6044,00.html

dagbladet 16:25 01 Dec 03

Cheers JB. Just to clarify, the original drive (henceforth to be known as Samsung) and the test drive (Creative) both work fine in another machine. I have also tried the flat grey cable from the other machine, they both work fine. So the fault would appear to be upstream of the flat cable. The rogue machine (which i'm using now) is opened up ready for any suggestions you may have, as is the spare.

dagbladet 16:30 01 Dec 03

After reading my last post, i'll try it again. Both drives will work with both cables in another machine. Neither drive will work with either cable in this machine. Same symptoms, tray opens, green light flashes then nothing. Disc not showing in drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…