CD Rom Drive Controller Failure?

tomtom15 12:07 19 Jan 04

I have a Compaq Deskpro circa 1999 running Windows 98 SE with a Pentium II 350 Mhz an 64Mb Ram. Not sure of the motherboard make.

Recently, with no intervention of myself, upon loading 'My Computer' showed I had no CD Rom present (I have a burner (master) and another (slave) with the dip switches or blanking pin set correctly)

After taking the cables off, and back on, the PC then showed I had drives, D and E and all seemed well. That was until I went to use Nero Burning software to burn a CD.

It can not scan the SCSI/DMA and thus load to the burn to. SO... Is it the driver controller gone...Is it Nero, or could a virus affect such?

Any help much appriciated!

Robin
[email protected]

matt1234 12:22 19 Jan 04

it seems to be nero causeing this and is a very tricky bit of software to use i recomend not using this and try using something like roxio cd creater etc or go to nero and see if their is any update availible

Diemmess 12:28 19 Jan 04

The CDROM itself seems the most likely to have failed. My own experience is that they are the least long-lived of computer peripherals.
I assume both will still read?

You could try connecting one at a time and see if either flatly refuses commands.

tomtom15 13:14 19 Jan 04

Thank you for your help. The odd thing is, the fact the computer to begin did not seem to realise I had a CD drive full stop. After messing with the cables, this was put right.

They both read CD's but upon the loading of the Nero software it will not go past 'Scanning the SCSI/DMA Drive Bus'

I presume it can't communicate with the drive? Not knowing what a 'Bus' is, but perhaps the DMA means Direct Memory Acsess and SCSI Well, I am lost on that one.

I will be re-installing the Nero software, but I am worried if this is not the case, is it a big job if the controller of the drives is failing to replace? Software or is it Hardware, or needs a new board?

Sorry I am not as PC literate here. Just a pain without me touching a thing this has all happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…