cd rom drive

Kave 19:19 09 Feb 03

I think that my cd rom drive may be on its way out.
I have been trying to reinstall Office 2000 and when it asks for the cd to be inserted, it starts to load, but then it stops even though the light on the cd rom drive is still showing it active.
Is there any way I can check the cd rom drive, and if it is K*******d is it difficult to install a new one.

MAJ 19:28 09 Feb 03

You could use a CD head cleaner, see if that helps, they should be available from any computer shop. If the drive is on the way out, it's a fairly simple operation to install a new one. click here

Kave 19:39 09 Feb 03

Thanks Maj, I will try a cleaner first, but I feel that installing a new drive is not so daunting now, should I need one.

Stuartli 19:51 09 Feb 03

CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters are very well sealed and it is unlikely that the laser will be dirty.

Best put the cost of a cleaner towards a new drive (from £12-£15 inclusive now), or even better, a DVD-ROM drive from around £20 to £25.

Drives don't have an indefinite life span as manufacturers' figures will indicate.

woodchip 20:01 09 Feb 03

They do get dirty, especially if you have kids putting dirty CD's in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…