CD rom drawer keeps opening

I run windows 98, and while running the computer either with or without a CD in the drawer it repeatedly and annoyingly keeps opening and closing

VoG II 13:57 31 May 04

Scan for viruses/trojans click here

Graham ® 14:06 31 May 04

More info click here

This computer is not connected to the 'net

Stuartli 14:26 31 May 04

Then how are you posting?

christmascracker 14:26 31 May 04

You dont have to be connected to the internet to get a virus, You should run a check just to be sure

stalion 14:27 31 May 04

have you installed any new software recently.Regards

VoG II 14:27 31 May 04

Do you have anti-virus and is A/V up to date (doubtful if no internet connection)?

Stuartli 14:31 31 May 04

Try Removing the CD-ROM drive from Device Manager and then rebooting - Windows will detect New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

Also check in Device Manager that there are no yellow exclamation marks by the drive's listing.

Simsy 14:32 31 May 04

on another Pc recently, it turned out to be a faulty CD unit...

I replaced it with another old one and problem disappeared. This suggests to me that it wasn't a virus, or any other software problem.

It may be you are in the same boat... (that's not to say it can't be a software issue of course!)

Good luck,

Giggle n' Bits 14:49 31 May 04

one of the following fixed it, try and go to run command and type sfc (you will need the 98 CD)

or install the chipset drivers for M/board or reinstall the windows media player.

It may have also have been internet explorer damaged.

My CD tray kept opening when restarting pc.

My fixes may sound odd but one of them worked for me but may not work for you ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…