cd rom controller problem

bigboab y 12:45 16 May 03

My grandsons cdrom dvd drive runs (i.e the wee green light flashes) but in "My computer" clicking on the drive brings up "please insert disc" even with a disc in... in device manager the big yellow question mark is against "Mitsumi cd-rom contoller" when I open that,it says the driver is not available .. it tries to find the driver but so far no joy.. the cdrom driver itself seems to be ok as the system can "see" it Any ideas ???

Paranoid Android 12:57 16 May 03

This may require updated motherboard drivers.

uninstal and reinstal the drive and point the wizard to the driver manually, make sure you have the latest mitsumi driver and if you have xp make sure it is the signed version.

bigboab y 13:27 16 May 03

The cdrom drive that is in it says "atapi"..the puter used to have a Mitsumi rewriter in it .. (nicked for another machine ) "atapi" a trade name or just a generic term... does the driver also install the cd rom controller??

woodchip 14:01 16 May 03

If this is a DVD drive then you need the software like Power DVD or something like that. the software contains the drivers you need, but the drive should work ok as a normal CD rom drive with the windows MSCDEX driver. Remove the drive with the yellow mark in Device Manager and reboot to see if it works after you restart

bigboab y 15:00 16 May 03

Changed out the cdrom ..bloody thing was faulty.. grrrrrr.. thanks for all your help guys/gals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…